Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Quick And Easy Poblano Rajas
No Need To Peel Poblanos!

Poblano rajas is a great topping for scrambles, tacos and more.

Follow Foods For Long Life on Facebook and Pinterest.

Poblano Peppers
This year, I went a little crazy growing so many different peppers in my garden - peppers that I had never before prepared. Poblano peppers, for example. They grew easily and plentifully. I know they are used to make chile rellenos but since I don't eat cheese, I didn't know what else to do with them.



Poblano peppers originated in the state of Puebla, Mexico. They are very mild but once in a while you may get one that has a bit of heat. If you let them ripen, they will turn dark red and become quite spicy and flavorful. Dried, they become "chile ancho" and you can grind them up and use them to flavor dishes. 

I looked around for recipe ideas for my poblano peppers but just about every single one of them required removing their skin as you would do for roasted red peppers. But that's a bit tedious considering how many peppers my plant was putting out. Luckily my daughter was visiting and showed me how she makes poblano rajas without having to do that extra step. So at least for this recipe, you do not have to peel the poblanos.

You can use poblano rajas as a condiment for tofu scramble or eggs, tacos, burritos, beans, potatoes and more. 

My friend gave me a plant called Cuban Oregano (also known as Spanish Thyme). It's a great little herb and it goes well in this dish. But Mexican oregano and thyme are much easier to find and work very well in this recipe too.  


Cuban Oregano or Spanish Thyme
                *                        *                       *

Easy Poblano Rajas
Vegan, Gluten and Dairy Free
[makes 1 1/2 cups]

Ingredients
2 large or 3 medium poblanos
1 tablespoon (or more) extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups sliced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh oregano or thyme ( or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
Salt to taste

Directions
Prepare the poblanos. Cut them in half vertically, remove their seeds and thinly slice.




Heat a frying pan with the oil. If you use a non-stick or enamel coated pan,1 tablespoon is probably enough. A stainless steel pan may take a bit more.

Add the sliced poblanos and cook on medium heat until they blister and soften, about 10 minutes. 


Add poblanos to the heated pan.

Cook until they blister.
Add the onions and cook until the onions soften and begin to brown. Stir in the garlic, salt and herbs and cook another minute or two. 



Serve warm and enjoy!

No comments: