Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Easy, No-Mess Beets In Your Instant Pot

Simple Beets Salad with Balsamic and Scallions.

Follow Foods For Long Life on Facebook and Pinterest.

Beets - Delicious but Messy
I love beets. When dining out, I almost always order a beet salad if it's on the menu. But I don't often make them at home because they are a mess to handle. But this morning with a single rubber glove, my Instant Pot and a butter knife I made this easy beet salad wearing a white blouse! I don't suggest the white blouse, but here's what I did.

Instant Pot Beets
I started with small to medium sized beets - about 2 inches in diameter.


I rinsed them in a colander.



Holding them by the tails, I cut the tops to remove what was left of the stem.


I tossed them into my Instant Pot with an inch of water. I pressed the Manual button and set for 20 minutes. They take a surprisingly long time to cook. (You may want to start with 10 to 15 minutes and test them and if they aren't cooked, set them for another 5 or 10 minutes.) Do a quick release and test them with a fork. Once you can pierce them (not easily, but firmly), they are done. Drain the beets in the colander. 

Put a rubber glove on your left hand, if you are right handed. This is the only time you will have to barely touch the cooked beet. Place the beets on a cutting board. Holding the beet with your gloved hand, take a butter knife with your right hand and carefully scrape off the skin.





Slice the beets and place into a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil to taste. Mix to coat and top with thinly sliced scallions and serve or refrigerate.


Enjoy!

No comments: